I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Consumer Sciences and Retailing at Purdue University. My research interests include attitudes, persuasion, social influence, and psychological measurement. I am especially interested in these areas within consumer and health contexts. The following are examples of current research programs:
(1) The biasing effects of attitudes during information processing: I am specifically interested in how and when attitudes influence what we see and remember.
(2) The reciprocity norm: We sometimes find ourselves receiving a favor that might one day be called in. I study both theoretical and applied facets of this norm.
(3) Attitudinal extremity: Attitudes that are extreme tend to be strong. We know that strong attitudes are consequential in a number of ways. I am currently investigating antecedents to extremity, and am interested in exploring their strength-related consequences.
(4) Eye-tracking measurement: I am interested in learning what unique information can be gained from eye-tracking data.
I teach courses on attitudes, consumer behavior, visual merchandising, and retail management.
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Social Cognition
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Norris Attitudes Lab (NAL)
- Fabrigar, L. R., Porter, R. D., & Norris, M. E. (2010). Some things you should know regarding structural equation modeling and never thought to ask. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 20(2), 221-225.
- Smith, S. M., Fabrigar, L. R., & Norris, M. E. (2008). Six decades of selective exposure research: Progress, challenges, and opportunities. Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 2(1), 464-493.
- Norris, M. E., & Fabrigar, L. R. (2006). Semantic differential. In N. J. Salkind (Ed.), Encyclopedia of measurement and statistics (Vol. 3, pp. 878-881). Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications.
- Norris, M. E., & Fabrigar, L. R. (2006). Semantic differential scale. In N. J. Salkind (Ed.), Encyclopedia of measurement and statistics (Vol. 3, pp 881-882). Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications.
- Fabrigar, L. R., & Norris, M. E. (in press). Conformity, compliance, and obedience. In D. S. Dunn (Ed.), Oxford bibliographies online: Psychology. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Consumer Behavior
- Retail Management
- Visual Merchandising
812 West State Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907
- Phone: (765) 494-8305